Frequently Asked Questions
No. Our installation process ensures that weeds will not grow through due to the two membranes we lay during the fitting.
Anywhere! Lawns, patios, roof gardens, terraces, balconies, children’s play areas, around swimming pools & hot tubs, conservatories, exhibitions, shows, films sets and more!
The only maintenance required is the removal of debris; this can be done using a leaf blower of stiff brush.
The artificial grass comes in 2m & 4m width rolls and as long as you require. All you need to do is measure your garden and calculate the width and length required. Get a free quote here.
All of Alternative’s Grass is pet friendly. As with any lawn, large pieces should be scooped up, any remaining small particles can be washed through the latex backing.
Just like most home projects, its relatively easy to lay artificial grass by yourself as long as you take time and due care. All of our artificial grass products have a latex or polyurethane backing that is easy to cut into shape and lay across the area. If you are inexperience in this type of work however, we would always recommend contacting a professional installer such as ourselves.
As with any DIY project, laying artificial grass by yourself requires a good amount of honesty! Be realistic about your own experience and skill before you start – getting it wrong can get expensive quickly. Have a think about your project and decide if there are compromises you can live with to make the job easier. For example, an irregular shaped garden can still take a rectangle lawn, with flowerbeds, ponds or other features added to complement excess space whilst keeping your artificial grass nice and simple.
To get you started laying artificial grass by yourself, here are a few other top tips:
- Your first consideration, along with the area you want to cover with artificial turf, should be the base that you’re laying onto. You want it to be as level as possible, with a slight gradient to allow water to run off when it rains.
- When replacing a natural lawn, our installation team will usually install a layer of Type 1 MOT, along with a fine layer of builders sand to create the perfect surface. If you’re laying onto an existing patio or driveway, you may be able to lay right onto it.
- Ensure the base is solid and will not sink over time. Laying directly onto soil is not recommended for exactly that reason.
- Under most circumstances the area you will be laying onto will require a surround of some sort that you can nail the artificial grass onto. Our team will usually use small wooden batons around the circumference of the area for this purpose, affixing the grass in place and eliminating the potential for movement.
- Consider the angle of the grass when you’re laying it, and when you’re measuring the space. All artificial grass has an ever so slight lean to it because of the way it is manufactured, and because it is stored on a roll. Typically you’ll want to artificial grass blades to be pointing towards your house to create the most natural looking lawn from the inside. On the other hand, if you want your neighbours to be really jealous, point it towards their windows!
- Always ask your artificial grass supplier for artificial turf from the same batch for each job that you do. Different batches of the same product can occasionally have ever so slight differences in colour. At Perfectly Green we will never mix two batches of grass on the same job, avoiding any chance of creating a ‘patchwork’ effect on a lawn. We doubt any other supplier would be so careless but it never hurts to make sure.
Fitting artificial turf is easy as long as you take your time. Alternatively we offer a first rate installation service, please contact us for more information. We’re always happy to help whether you’re a customer of ours or not.
The artificial grass is a sterile environment. However, over time it is possible that wind-borne debris might deposit enough nutrients within the infill to support a small number of insects. Even so, you will find a lot less than you would in natural grass.
If you enjoy and want to encourage wildlife, keep your borders and plant native flowers there. If you haven’t already, you can put up a bird table and bird bath as well as feeders. That way birds can come along and enjoy your space too!
We guarantee our artificial grass for at least ten years.
This is not generally recommended as the existing grass will die. It will also compact to give an uneven surface. However, if the surface is even and has good drainage then this is possible. To get your grass professionally installed, click here to submit a free quote request.